As a business owner, you’re probably always looking for new ways to attract clients and get those dreamed about inquiries – we’ve definitely been there! And as someone who started their business right after graduation, I was in search of not just any way to market and advertise my photography business, but low cost ways of doing so. With that being said, here’s some of our favorite low cost marketing & advertising ideas for your photography business!
Low Cost Marketing & Advertising Ideas
- Attend free public events! This could be your local fall festival, Christmas parade, car shows, or anything else that’s free to the public. Show up with your camera, take awesome photos, and network with people. After the event make sure to share the photos you take!
- Register your business in free online directories! There are 100’s of online directories available for you to list your business in. Not only does this make you visible in more places, but it can boost your website’s ranking with high quality backlinks.
- Cold calling/emailing. Definitely a least favorite on this list. Cold calling/emailing can be effective for specific photography niches where contact information for your target clients can be easily found online.
- Build an email list! Much different from cold emailing, building an email list requires users to opt into receiving your emails, usually in exchange for access to a freebie of some sort.
- Blog consistently! Definitely a long term marketing strategy – blogging can really help boost your search rankings and organic traffic, as well as position you as an industry expert when used properly.
- Loyalty/referral programs. Loyalty, or referral, programs can be set up for little to no cost when done properly and can be a major incentive for clients to talk about your business!
- Limited promotions. This can be as easy as a single social media post but can be a great way to get several inquiries quick.
- Contests and giveaways. A great way to build awareness and grow your reach! Contests and giveaways can also be used as a way to build your email list.
- Encourage reviews! Past clients leaving a review on your website, Google Business Profile, or other platform, costs $0 and can have a major impact on your businesses online appearance. Client reviews are what prospective clients look at the most when making purchase decisions!
- Give before you get! Find any way you can to give to your target audience and other professionals that cater to your target audience. This can be through free online resources, free gifts, & more!
Starting off, I did everything from the photography to the taxes on my own, but I definitely recommend working with professionals to tackle things outside of your realm – especially if it’s within budget! And you don’t have to try every idea on this list. Choose a few that suit your business and start there.
As always, thank you for reading, and don’t forget to follow along for more content like this!